Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bill Kellagher on his six wins of Boulder Roubaix

Photo by Emily Kellagher
About the 6 wins, I really wasn't thinking about that until after the race when it occurred to me that I have 3 of those rocks now, and I had won it a few times before they started that tradition.  It's fairly ironic because back in the 90s when I was riding 35+ I used to boycott all the dirt road races thinking that racing on dirt roads was a really stupid idea!  I finally did the Roubaix in 2002 the first year I started riding 45+ races and I won in a long solo break.  I was hooked. 

In 2004 I came in third but then the two guys in the break ahead of me got DQed on a yellow line violation.  In 2005 there was no official B-R, but they used the course a part of the Boulder Stage Race, won that one in another long solo break.  I was 2nd in 06, 4th in 07 after flatting out of the break.  In 08 it was another long solo in the rain.  The road was so potholed that I cracked my frame. 2010 was my first year in the 55s and celebrated with another long solo. 

Which brings us to yesterday's race where my team mates covered the front as I went off with Steve Crowley, #6!

No comments:

Post a Comment