Monday, April 25, 2011

Deer Trail Race reports

Well Deer Trail came and went and for the first time we had three different teams out there, 35 plus, 45 plus, and 55 plus.  It was a mixed bag of results, but as always it is a well run race, and is much harder than it looks on the surface.

35 Plus Report from CJ: low winds made for an easier race (not an easy race, just easier.....), with an early 5 man break.  Jim Thies made the break, but eventually got popped.  That left 3 guys in the lead for 75% of the race, including one from Westside, and they made it stick.  Westside had a big team and had a lots of options.  We rode the 1st full lap pretty easy and then threw 4 of our 6 guys into a full on chase on the inbound leg of lap one to the finish line, with Marc and Matt sitting on to wait.  We felt we rode very well, we were coordinated, and we took charge of the race.  We got a little help from Rio, but Dan, Jim, Marcel and CJ put in a lot of work. 

Eventually the chasing took it's tool and the 4 guys started to drop, but by this time the break was coming back and the field was blowing apart under the pressure.  The plan worked and a front group emerged, with Matt making it.  Unfortunately the break just held on for 1st through 3rd, with the front group arriving 21 seconds later, with Jeff Hartman taking the "sprint" for 4th, with Matt Gates right behind in 5th.

We give all the credit to Westside, they put a guy in the break and they rode it to the end, and the win.  However we went all in as a team, we executed a solid plan, and showed the more we ride together, the better we are going to get.  It was great to see 4 guys just blow themselves up to get our two best option up there.  That kind of team work and sacrifice is going to lead to race wins as the season wears on.


45 Plus Report from Peter:  By the time the 45+ masters mens race started, the winds had picked up
quite a bit, creating strong crosswind situations.  With that in mind, the six riders from the Mix1 team looked to control the race and take advantage of the wind.  Bill Stalhuth controlled the first part of the
race, holding back any potential breakaways while the other Mix1 riders got into position.  This allowed the Mix1 riders to save their strength for going after breakaway riders and attacking at the right
moment. Although two other riders eventually got away off the front on their own, Mix1 worked hard to keep them them as close as possible.

Unfortunately, after working hard to get near the breakaway, the Mix1 riders were not able to get in with the final select group of six riders off the front. Strong riders such as Rod Yoder, Dwight Hall,
and Jim Dickerson could not be caught.  Mix1 still won the field sprint with some teamwork, but hopes to build on their strengths and teamwork at races in the coming weeks.


55 Plus Report from Bill K: It was a very strong 55+ field with just about all of the strong guys were there with the exception of a certain Mr. Dickerson.  Vic's and Real D both had 6 guys, Pro Peloton had at least 4. As I've won this race a few times in the past, I felt like I had a big red target on my back and my every move was being marked.  So we started out with the usual 55+ script with lots of sitting on, people wanting to save energy, doodling out to the first turn-around. A mile or two after that, Barry Messmer from Vic's gave a dig and went down the road.  Steve B set off in chase and then the two of them drifted away for the day's first break.  And again, big thanks to Steve since this now took lots of pressure off of me.  I was more than happy to have Steve get his shot at winning the race, and it put the onus on The Real D and Pro Peloton guys to chase.  So Steve and Barry held on until just before the 2nd turn-around allowing me to sit protected and causing Pro Peloton burn some matches to bring them back.  At that turn-around, we turned into a tailwind so I attacked hard, bringing Shannon Fox with me.  We didn't stay out for long, but we caused a split in the field and narrowed things down to about 20 guys.  We were able to keep things rolling until the turn.  Again fortunately for me, another rider slipped off the front and the Real D guys took on the task of keeping him in check so that after the turn onto our final leg, I could attack.  The Real D boys seemed intent on putting the pressure on up the feed hill, so I waited for the second, steeper hill to launch my attack.  That's where the 6 rider break formed.  The field was chasing hard so we had to push harder.  It was a pretty good effort from most of the 6 guys in the break.  I only had to attack once to keep the shirkers at the back honest.  So we just kept pounding it up those hills until the finish.  I got a little crossed up by the change in the finish line.  We were pounding along so long that I simply forgot the finish was coming up.  I was on the front taking a hard pull when I realized that little shack by the road was actually the judges stand.  Luckily for me, I slowed to let the next guy go by and he pulled through.  Phew, didn't have to lead out for the last mile!  I now had a pretty good spot in 2nd position with the first guy hitting it pretty hard.  We were well past the 1k to go sign and now I'm noticing that he's slowing down (oh no!!).  How far to go?  Can I make it from here?  Looks close..  Are they starting to come around me?...  So thinking I was about 200 meters to to, I launched my sprint, leading it out.  So now that I'm well into my sprint, hitting my highest speed, in the corner of my eye, I notice the 200 meter to go sign go by.  (Doh!!)  And I can feel myself starting to slow a bit.  I look down through my legs and can see a wheel coming up to me. (Oh no!! I blew it!).  I'm sitting about 3 feet off the yellow line with the breeze coming from the right, and now I see the wheel behind me start moving up on my left. I instinctively drift to my left to close the door and I see the wheel disappear (score!!).   Drove it home for the win!! 
Steve came in with the field a few seconds back, third in the field sprint, claiming a top 10 placing.  Good work Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment