Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Masters Nationals TT, RR & Crit

Matt Segur and Gene Palumo made the trip from CO to Louisville, KY for the 2010 maters nationals. Here are reports on the races from then.

Gene's report on the TT: with a heat index of 101 degrees today is was a bit hot and humid if you can imagine. Of course, everyone had the same conditions to race in but it just got hotter and hotter, it seemed like, by the minute. Basically, we were all simply dripping wet, salty dogs seeking shade and liquids.

Podium at Natz goes 5 deep so I ended up on the podium in 4th place with a medal around my neck. As well, I got to share the podium with guys like 1st place Thurlow Rogers (multiple time World and Natz champ) and other multiple time Natz champs like John Novitsky, and Brian Batke, so I guess I should be happy with my performance in the presence of these icons...
Segur lined up about an hour earlier than I and I believe he ended up in 12th place. Didn't see Matt after the race so that is the only update I have for him.

I ran into some other Colorado racers such as Todd Robertson from Skins, Vic's guys Joe Paulson, Mike Newsome and Dean Sandoval as well as Jim Dickerson from Great Divide. Todd Robertson, Mike Newsome and Jim put in some fine times and finishes in their respective categories and finished on the podium in 3rd, 5th and 6th place respectively.
Matt is here for the road race and crit and I head back to Colorado tomorrow.

Matt Segur's TT report: bloody hot and humid! I felt as though I was riding through a swimming pool. Anyway, I raced this as planned and left nothing on the course. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. I am hopeful the road race on Friday morning will go much better for me. I know who's wheel I will be on and am not going to let it go!

Matt Segur's Road Race report: Hot and humid again today in Louisville, but I prepared for it and with 76 other racers we put ourselves on the line for the Nationals Road Race. The race was full gas from the start with the likes of Olhieser tearing it apart on the first lap (he is the 2 time defending US Amateur Road Race Champ..............). Olhieser attacked on the second climb of the first lap of the course and took a few riders with him in a break, including the eventual 2nd place finisher. After the break was free it all attacking from the field for the next several laps as riders tried to get something else to get away.

I made a break at the half way point with two others but, we got caught with 3 laps to go of 14 lap race. At this point things settled a bit as the group tried to figure itself out. Although this did not deter opportunistic racers from trying to solo away, but they each quickly brought back in. With 1st and 2nd places secured up the road, I was in a select lead group that gaped the group on the windy false flat bottom of the course. This group was racing for 3rd place on the last lap, but I totally cracked on the last hill and sprint to the finish, cramping ,and red lined the field caught me. That constant jumping of wheels really took it out of me after my efforts in my break. I just had nothing left in the tank for the finale. That was the hardest race I've done in a long time. It was all survival in this race due to the constant attacking with significant attrition due to the speed of the race, the courses rolling terrain and the heat and humidity.
One more race to go, the criterium, on Sunday afternoon. Still a chance for me to reach a podium here at Nationals.

Matt's crit: Matt felt great in the crit, but was taken out in a crash. He hit the ground hard and his helmet really saved him. He wanted back in, but the medical staff said no way, due to the helmet damage. After the race ended Matt reflected and said the medical staff made the right call.

No comments:

Post a Comment